Saturday 1 November 2008

Visitors from Sheffield U

1 November 2008


The weather was not really good today. It was not sunny at all, quite cold and a little shower from now and then. A bit grim for outing day....


It was Poppy Day as well. Everywhere we saw people wearing poppy flower on their left chest. It was a day to remember WW1 and WW2 victims. People gave their donation and wore the flower....





As planned, two visitors from Sheffield U came to visit Cambridge today. 10 minutes past 11 am, Ain-Ain called me to inform her arrival. She and her friend Mr. Ghani were to meet me somewhere near Trinity College.


Ain-Ain and Mr. Ghani struck by Cambridge beauty!


I walked quickly from my college, through St John College and met them inside King's College. She looked very happy to finally be here in Cambridge. I took them around King...


The famous King's Cathedral from front view...

River Cam passes through the back of King's College

The famous activity-punting

Model-photographer caught in action! Smile....Haha!


.....and we even went inside the famous King's cathedral!


Impressive architecture.... and beautifully crafted tainted glasses!


We moved from King's to Senate House...

Cambridge congregations are held here...



Then to Gonville and Caius College...


I have my group meeting here almost every Thurday....


Later to Trinity College...the most well-known and richest college in Cambridge!




Then to St John's..


St John cathedral

St John's garden always look great in autumn.....


We walked through bridge Sigh and back entrance of St John. I took them to my college, St Edmund's. My not so famous little college.....



The main Norfolk building


And showed them my 'famous' apple trees as Ain-Ain was so excited to see the trees!

Mr. Ghani couldn't stopped himself for a pose and insisted Ain-Ain to take his picture...

But 'floating Ghani' pose???? Heheh!


See for yourself.....Magic 'floating' pose by Mr. Ghani.....


We didn't just ate the fruits but Ain-Ain and I climbed the tree together. Frankly (not really that proud though!), Ain-Ain will never beat me in climbing as I had years of experience and she barely made it. Haha!

Me and Ain-Ain on my favourite apple tree....

Ain-Ain and I ate some apples freshly plucked from these trees. The apples were so fresh, juicy and sweet. Ain-Ain enjoyed the fruits very much and was so happy as her wish to pluck fresh apples came true. She behaved like me!! Haha! Now she knows where my unlimited supply of apples comes from. She felt sad about the fallen apples on the ground though..... Free apples anyone??


Then, I took them to New Hall college. Mr. Ghani was very excited as it is a all girls college, just like Mr. T. Hehe! We took some photos near the grape trees. We even ate some of the grapes as anyone is allowed to have them...


After New Hall, I brought them inside my college and they posed in my Combination Room. And some pictures outside the main entrance of St Edmund's too...

St Edmund's front garden

We walked back to City Center through Magdalene Street and stopped near Quayside, the punting place. As it was too cold to punt, we just stood there for a while and watched people punted. We bumped into Mdm Zett and Mr. Hefni. Was glad that Ain-Ain and Mr. Ghani met both Mdm Zett and Mr. Hefni, their old time friends.

Mr. Ghani and Ain-Ain in the City Center (Sidney Street), one of the busiest place in Cambridge


As we had not had our lunch yet, I took them to Wagamama at Regents Street. Both Mr. Ghani and I had seafood ramen and raw juice.

Raw juice

Seafood ramen

Ain-Ain ordered Prawn green curry with rice and raw juice as she was hungry.

Prawn Green Curry with boiled rice

Mr. T joined us later and ordered himself some chicken starter and sky juice.

We chatted about places in UK as Mr. T is quite knowledgable about places as he did his MPhil here in Brighton and did quite some tavelling before. Through the chat, we (Mr. T and I) decided to reciprocate both Ain-Ain and Mr. Ghani visit some time this month.

Me and Ain-Ain

Mr. T and Mr. Ghani

Mr. T left and went somewhere else after lunch. I took both my guests to Emmanual College.


We walked further inside until we reached the pond. We fed some wild ducks and took some pictures. It was fun feeding the ducks but Ain-Ain and I were a bit scared of the duckies!

Emma pond with wild ducks...

Ain-Ain and I fed duckies with cookies crumb...

I brought them inside DowningCollege and walked through Downing to New Museum Site, and showed them Miss J department (Biochemistry), my department (Genetics) and Mdm Zett's department (Plant Sciences).


Mr. Ghani and Ain-Ain infront of Plant Sciences-just to show Mdm Zett their present!


Then, I took them back to King's Parade as they would like to find some souvenirs to bring back. The weather was getting worst as it started to rain quite heavily.....Sooo cold!!


Mr. T reminded me to take them to try Chelsea bun, the most famous buns from Fitzbillies; the only one outlet in UK. I bought them a Chelsea bun each to take back. Hope they like it as much as we do...

The famous Chelsea buns from Fitzbillies


Then, we parted as they left for Queen College where they were supposed to wait for their bus. I wish them a safe journey and may they come again to visit my lovely university....



Walked back to St Edmund's through Magdalene Street in heavy rain.... I was quite wet all over even with my coat and an umbrella. What a wrong time to come visit but I still hope they enjoy their time here in Cambridge......


And the Chelsea bun became my dinner....

Got to take my shower.... and an early night. ZZzzzz......



4 comments:

ainmuttaqin said...

Wow!mcm BBC News la k.Lin..cepat betul update on my visit..i'm having a very great time there..thanks a lot for your time..really nice having you there to show us your beautiful uni.and yeah the weather really bad..sorry la k.lin terpaksa berhujan with us..and do visit us at sheffield..but frankly speaking,sheff is nothing compared to your place..but will try our best to show u around..maybe peak district will be nice place to visit..

azlin said...

Hi Ain. Mesti le cepat mcm BBC. If not then, Josh will kutuk bersawang! Hehe! Nice having you in Cambridge. Do come again next time. T and I will inform you ASAP about our visit to yours. Have a nice day!!

Josh said...

Jeles... JELESS....

Takmo komen dah. Jeles.

;-P

azlin said...

Hi Josh. Jgn le jeles. You should come here. I'll give your a 'special' tour! Haha!